Marauders Era
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Say something, I'm giving up on you -- Summer 1992 (DONE)

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Say something, I'm giving up on you -- Summer 1992 (DONE) Empty Say something, I'm giving up on you -- Summer 1992 (DONE)

Post  Lincoln Matthews Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:31 pm

It was not that long since I had gotten home from Hogwarts for the summer holiday.  It was the end of my second year -- I was already counting down the days to when I start my third year in August.  I was upstairs reading when I heard my father come home.  I sighed heavily, waiting for him to yell up the stairs to see what was going on or to just yell at me for not doing something that I actually did do.  It did not come right away, but I did hear his voice say my name.  Something was different, though.  Something was wrong.  I set my book down and left my room. 

Walking slowly, I found him in his study.  He looked drained and there was a misty look in his eyes.  Who was this man I was looking at?  I knocked lightly on the door to announce my presence in case he had not hear me.  My heart was pounding in my chest.  I knew better than to get my hopes up that it might be something good.  Those days were long gone -- there had not been a good day since the day he took me to get my school things when I turned eleven.  But, then again, a thirteen year old could only act so strong.  "You called for me, Father?" I asked timidly, trying to not sound frightened like I was.

Last edited by Lincoln Matthews on Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Lincoln Matthews
Lincoln Matthews

Back to top Go down

Say something, I'm giving up on you -- Summer 1992 (DONE) Empty Re: Say something, I'm giving up on you -- Summer 1992 (DONE)

Post  The Matthews Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:36 pm

I looked up at my son, startled by his sudden appearance slightly.  I had expected to hear him arrive at the door, but no... he had been quiet.  I put the files down and looked towards Lincoln.  He did not look merely like the thirteen year old that he was.  I had done that to him -- me and my wife.  We were not set to be parents.  And yet we had two children... and the one who was still with us, we blamed for something that was not his fault.  It tore the family apart -- not that it was whole in the first place.  I was going to make it right.  It was far too late, but then again... that was better than just sitting aside and letting this continue to happen to Lincoln.

I was his father, I was supposed to help him -- to protect him.  And I was doing nothing of the sort.  If anything, I was hurting him worse than Genevieve.  I used my words more than any physical power, while Gen was opposite.  But I never stood there to protect him.  I just let her go after him.  "Linc, I would like to talk to you," I said to him heavily, hoping he would give me the chance to do so.
The Matthews
The Matthews

Back to top Go down

Say something, I'm giving up on you -- Summer 1992 (DONE) Empty Re: Say something, I'm giving up on you -- Summer 1992 (DONE)

Post  Lincoln Matthews Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:41 am

I stayed in the doorway, not entirely sure if I wanted to walk inside and be closer to him.  He just looked... I was frightened, actually.  This was not the man I was used to seeing.  I was not entirely sure if I had ever seen him look this way when Austin was still alive.  Had I?  Maybe when it was just the three of us.  But even then there was a trace of happiness.  Now there was only despair in his eyes.  "Yes, Father?" I said, letting him know that I was listening.
Lincoln Matthews
Lincoln Matthews

Back to top Go down

Post  The Matthews Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:13 am

I looked up at my thirteen year old son and tried to give him a reassuring smile.  I wanted him to feel comfortable -- but I also knew he had no reason to trust me.  I broke that.  "Linc... I am so sorry," I said to him honestly and simply.  Start with the truth.  That was the least I could do for him.  He deserved that and so much more.  I motioned for him to sit down, it would make me feel better speaking to him if he trusted what I was saying.

He hesitated, but eventually he sat down.  I wanted to reach across the desk to him, though I knew what the response would be.  Instead, I opened a desk drawer and pulled out a box, setting it atop the desk.  I was not entirely sure what I was going to end up doing, but I wanted him to know that I understood my mistakes and I was going to make it better somehow.
The Matthews
The Matthews

Back to top Go down

Post  Lincoln Matthews Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:37 pm

I had not wanted to be roped into actually stepping into the room, but my father had apologized to me.  And the way he looked... I was scared and I knew something was different.  He was being nice to me for the first time, really, since Austin's death.  I eventually sat down.  I could tell that my father was not entirely sure what to do.  I stayed silent.  I was not going to give him any reason to turn into the monster I was used to dealing with.  I took a deep breath and tensed when he finally decided to move; he reached into the desk drawer and I let out the breath slowly, not entirey sure I was in the clear.

I watched him put a little box on the desk that was between us.  He stayed silent.  I was not entirely sure what was going on and my curiosity got the best of me.  "W-What's that?" I asked, unable to believe that I stuttered.  I hardly ever did that.  I went through a stage when I was younger when Austin died, but I overcame that.  For the most part.  Which was why I was quiet a lot.  That was another reason for my parents to beat me or yell at me.  I tensed up again, though, because he would normally yell at me when I did stutter and I did not want to give hiim a reason... and I think I just did.
Lincoln Matthews
Lincoln Matthews

Back to top Go down

Post  The Matthews Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:20 am

I looked at my son and felt a stab of pain for the fear I saw in his eyes -- I heard it.  I always heard the stutter; it did drive me mad, but it was not his fault.  He had been traumatized... it was a coping method of his.  He was always so careful around his mother and I when he spoke, I nearly forgot that he used to stutter.  I smiled kindly at him, trying to let him know he could relax.  Things were going to be changing.  "This here," I said, opening the box and trying to ignore the fact that my son flinched when I moved, "is a gift.  I know it doesn't mean much... not coming from me... but I want you to have these."

I pushed the open box towards him revealing cuff links that had been in my family for years.  I was not sure if Lincoln would ever want to have something from a family he loathed, but perhaps the gesture would at least calm him down.  When he was still hesitant and unsure, I added, "Linc, please, I know there are things that I can never apologize for, but things are going to change.  I promise you that."
The Matthews
The Matthews

Back to top Go down

Post  Lincoln Matthews Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:38 pm

I just stared at the cufflinks that were inside the box that he was giving to me, trying to recover from flinching as if none of this was a big deal.  He was right.  I did not want them; I wanted nothing to do with this family.  I just wanted out.  I wanted to keep my mouth shut and not do anything to make him yell at me, but how could I not speak up when he promised to make things change.  Instead of saying anything, I just stood up, shaking my head, and laughed.

I stopped and turned to look at my father.  I did not care at all that he looked really hurt on the other side of that desk.  "You promise you're going to change this?" I asked, gesturing around me indicating my life.  "D-damn straight you can't apologize for anything you've d-done!  You two -- you've ruined my life!  W-what makes you think that I even believe a word coming from your mouth?" I yelled at him.  I picked up the box and looked at it.  "And you think that these w-will make a d-difference?" I just shook my head and threw it down, not caring where it went.  I turned around and started to head out of the study.  I was not going to believe a word that came out of that man's mouth.  He did not care.
Lincoln Matthews
Lincoln Matthews

Back to top Go down

Post  The Matthews Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:42 pm

I expected a reaction like that.  In all honesty, I was grateful that he started yelling.  His constant calm was unnerving.  I stood up and followed him, but made sure to keep a safe distance between us so he would feel safe and not like I was coming after him to hurt him.  "Lincoln, I know I have no right to even want you to believe what I am saying to you," I said to him.  "But there are things... things that you've never been told.  Please, just let me talk to you.  That's all I want to do -- talk.  Then you can storm out, curse, yell, break things... I don't care.  I just want you to know the truth."  I stopped in the corridor and could see him hesitating on the bottom of the stairs.  I was not entirely sure what he was going to do.  I wanted him to stay and listen to what I needed to tell him, but I would completely understand if he did not.
The Matthews
The Matthews

Back to top Go down

Post  Lincoln Matthews Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:47 pm

I heard him follow me, but made sure my pace would get me to the stairs before he could put a hand on me.  I stopped when he mentioned the truth.  What truth?  I stared ahead of me, refusing to turn around.  He would not win.  But the waiver in his voice, the way he seemed to be putting it all on the line... he was still my dad.  I sighed and turned around, one hand still on the railing.  "W-what truth?" I asked, mentally kicking myself for losing control.  I needed to stop stuttering and to get my breathing under control.  I took a deep breath and walked to close the space between my father and myself.  "What truth?" I asked again, controlling my voice this time.
Lincoln Matthews
Lincoln Matthews

Back to top Go down

Post  The Matthews Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:53 pm

I sighed a breath of relief when Lincoln turned to give me a chance.  "The truth of everything," I said to him softly.  "The reason why your brother seemed to be the golden child."  I was gauging his reaction as to how to continue.  When Lincoln just continued to stare at me, I motioned for him to follow me.  "Linc, in my office... are papers that will help show that I am telling the truth."  The official adoption papers, even though Genevieve never wanted to go through with it.  I convinced her it was the good thing to do.  She did not care.
The Matthews
The Matthews

Back to top Go down

Post  Lincoln Matthews Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:56 pm

The mention of my brother still brought a stabbing pain to my heart.  I had always pushed aside the fact that he was doted on and I was not.  I never cared what the reason was so long as Austin was okay.  I nodded and followed my dad back to his office.  "Show me the papers," I said, wanting to see the evidence as he was speaking whatever truth had been hidden from me all this time.  I had no idea what to expect, but my curiosity was peaked and there was no other way to appease it.  I had to at least listen; I owed it to myself.
Lincoln Matthews
Lincoln Matthews

Back to top Go down

Post  The Matthews Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:02 pm

I nodded and handed over the file to him.  "Lincoln, it might seem confusing right now," I said to him, "but I will tell you everything.  In order to do that, you have to hear it from the beginning."  I sat down in my chair and looked at him.  I could see the confusion on my eldest son's face.  I waited until he looked up from the papers.  The confusion and sadness was written clearly on his face.  The sadness surprised me, but then I thought of Austin.  Lincoln just realized that his baby brother was not truly his baby brother.  I wished that I would not have caused Lincoln more pain.  but if he let me tell the whole story, he would realize that they were at least half brothers.

"When You-Know-Who was rising, I was weak.  I wanted to impress your mother -- who is a powerful witch as we both know -- and I was recruited," I said to him honestly.  "I became a Death Eater."
The Matthews
The Matthews

Back to top Go down

Post  Lincoln Matthews Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:06 pm

What my father had put in my hands were adoption papers -- with my name written all over them.  How could that be?  I felt tears blur my vision slightly.  I was not Austin's brother?  That could not be.  I felt a bond with him.  I looked up at my father with confusion and I tried not to let my sadness show.  I did not sit down when Father started speaking about the beginning of the story.  I clenched my jaw when he mentioned mother.  I did, however, sit down when he said what he was.  I guessed I should not have been surprised.  He was evil enough to be a Death Eater back in the day of the Dark Lord.  "And?" I said, my voice shaking.  Why did I have a feeling that he hurt me more than anything else that has ever happened to me -- besides the loss of my brother?
Lincoln Matthews
Lincoln Matthews

Back to top Go down

Post  The Matthews Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:23 pm

I put my face in my hands and took a deep breath.  how was I going to look at Lincoln and tell him that I had to massacre his entire family?  Someone who had tried to save me from Genevieve?  I wanted a name, though.  WE needed a name in the world it was becoming.  So I had to.  I looked into Lincoln's hazel eyes and took a deep breath.  "Linc, as one of the initiation things that he made me do, was go after this family of wizards -- she was a blood traitor, according to them.  She married a Muggle.  We tortured and killed her husband.  And we left her to die... A couple other selected Death Eaters went with me... and it was horrible."  I did not want to tell Lincoln everything that had happened, but he needed to know enough.

I kept looking at Lincoln and continued with the story.  "Your parents are gone.  You were just a little toddler -- maybe two at the time.  It was before your mother found out she was pregnant with Austin... but not that far before she found out," I explained to him.  "I could not let them hurt you.  I needed to save you...."
The Matthews
The Matthews

Back to top Go down

Post  Lincoln Matthews Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:30 pm

I could not help but scoff at that.  "You consider this saving me?" I asked, staring at him in disbelief.  I could believe that I was adopted; the paperwork showed me the proof of that part of the story.  But where was the proof that this was a better life than being massacred with the rest of my family?  The family that loved me.  I stared at my father as an entirely new monster.  The only reason why I would even continue to consider him a father was because of those few memories that I had with him and Austin in the past.
Lincoln Matthews
Lincoln Matthews

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next