Marauders Era
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sons are the anchors of a mother's life -- August 1998 (DONE)

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sons are the anchors of a mother's life -- August 1998 (DONE) Empty Sons are the anchors of a mother's life -- August 1998 (DONE)

Post  Charlie Weasley Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:36 pm

I was home a little early due to the fact of my brother's looming wedding.  I was not in George's wedding party, but I tried to help out as much as possible in the preparations.  Besides, I wanted to talk to my mother about proposing to Des.  It had been three years or so that we had been dating and she was a great fit in the family.  I just wondered if Mum had an heirloom ring to give her.  I saw the ring Red was given to use for Jada... and I wanted something like that.  I was sure there were some more from other aunts or even Mum herself.  Mum was in the kitchen making some things that could be frozen for their wedding to save time later.

Last edited by Charlie Weasley on Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charlie Weasley
Charlie Weasley

Back to top Go down

Sons are the anchors of a mother's life -- August 1998 (DONE) Empty Re: Sons are the anchors of a mother's life -- August 1998 (DONE)

Post  Molly Weasley Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:39 pm

I saw Charlie walk into the kitchen.  I was grateful to see my son grab an apron to help.  Only Charlie.  I smiled at him and gave him instructions of what to do and he started to roll out some dough.  We worked in silence together for a little whiel until I said, "I'm assuming you came in to help so you could tlak to me about what's on your mind."
Molly Weasley
Molly Weasley

Back to top Go down

Sons are the anchors of a mother's life -- August 1998 (DONE) Empty Re: Sons are the anchors of a mother's life -- August 1998 (DONE)

Post  Charlie Weasley Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:41 pm

I eyed my mother. "How'd you know there was something on my mind?" I asked her, kneading some of the dough. I was apparently doing it wrong because she had to come over and correct how I was doing it. Who knew there was more than one way to knead dough?
Charlie Weasley
Charlie Weasley

Back to top Go down

Post  Molly Weasley Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:43 pm

I gave my son a knowing smile.  With a finger covered in flour, I tapped the end of his nose as if he were the five-year-old boy who used to always help me in the kitchen when I baked.  "A mother always knows when her children need to talk," I explained.  "And you are so easy to read."  I laughed at the glare I was receiving from my little joke.
Molly Weasley
Molly Weasley

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie Weasley Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:50 pm

Glaring a my mother, I grabbed a handful of flour and threw it at her. I couldn't help but laugh at her face. "Well, I do have something to talk to you about, as a matter of fact," I told her. I missed having moments like this with my mom. I was a momma's boy... I couldn't help it. I was pretty sure I was her favorite, too, even though she would never admit that.
Charlie Weasley
Charlie Weasley

Back to top Go down

Post  Molly Weasley Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:51 pm

We continued to work as we chatted, but we were not talking about what was really on his mind by any means.  "Charlie, honey, what are you avoiding talking to me about?" I prodded.
Molly Weasley
Molly Weasley

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie Weasley Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:55 pm

It was not that I was avoiding talking about it; I wanted to tell everyone that I was going to propose to Desdemona. It's just that I felt like saying it to my mum would be like telling her that I was no longer her baby. It was odd. I helped her measure out the different serving sizes to freeze this dough -- I wasn't sure what exactly it would be making -- so we could pop it into the freezer until it needed to be made. "Mum, I wanted to ask you a question. I know we don't have a lot of things and I can go get one, I just think this is more sentimental... but anyways, I am going to ask Des to marry me," I finished, leaning against the counter and looking at my dear mother.
Charlie Weasley
Charlie Weasley

Back to top Go down

Post  Molly Weasley Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:01 pm

I wiped my hands on a dish towel and looked at my son.  I wanted to tell him it was about time, but I knew this was a difficult thing for him.  He was always so adventurous and outgoing, he never thought he would settle down.  He did not want the risk of being hurt on the job and having kids at home.  I knew this because I had badgered him about girls all the time.  So the fact that he had been in a relationship this long was amazing, let alone wanting to go the next step!  I smiled at my boy and pulled him into a hug, giving him a kiss on the cheek.  "Oh, Charlie, that is amazing!" I said, tears coming to my eyes.  "And you wondered if I could pull out a trick for you like I did for Fred and Jada?" We had gotten that one shipped in from one of our aunts for hiim to give to Jada.  It fit her perfectly.  I thought about who would have the perfect ring to hand off to Charlie to give to Desdemona.  She was so down to earth and never expected much.  She would be more than happy wiht the sentiment than the size of a stone or cut of the diamond.
Molly Weasley
Molly Weasley

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie Weasley Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:06 pm

I was a little relieved to see Mum get so happy about this. I was actually really worried she would view this the same way I was sort of seeing it; me no longer being her baby. I smiled her and nodded. "If not, that is quite alright. I don't mean to add any pressure on you or anything... I just thought there would be more sentiment if it was an heirloom. Des doesn't really get along well with her family anymore except for the Lupins... so I know it would mean a lot if there were more meaning behind the ring than just buying it at a jewelers. And it does not necessarily have to be just a diamond..." I really enjoyed talking rings with my mother. I knew it was odd that George was getting married before us older brothers... but I had never really wanted to settle down due to my job; Desi made me feel so differently about that, though.
Charlie Weasley
Charlie Weasley

Back to top Go down

Post  Molly Weasley Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:17 pm

There were only a few rings that I had in my possession that Arthur had bought for me throughout the years... the engagement ring, a beautiful ruby ring cut like a heart with some diamond accents that had white gold and gold in it, and a small emerald ring that was so precious that he had given to me as a promise ring.  My engagement ring I was hoping to have whoever proposed to Ginny give to her.  I wanted to make sure that one went to my daughter.  I looked at Charlie with a big smile.  "I believe I have just the thing... I never wear it anymore, but your father bought it for me for our ten year anniversary... I have no idea how he was able to afford it with the family, but I think it would be perfect for you to give to Desdemona!" I said excitedly.  I think she would look beautiful with the ruby ring.  And there were diamonds that made it flashy so it would look a little bit more like an engagement ring as well.  "Wait right here and I'll go grab it for you!"  I took off the apron and rushed to the bedroom to go get the ring out of my small drawer that I kept the small amount of jewelry I owned.
Molly Weasley
Molly Weasley

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie Weasley Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:18 pm

I laughed and continued putting things in the freezer; no use stopping the work right now. I figured that I would be able to get it all in by the time Mum found what she was looking for. I did fit everything in the freezer and was trying to clean up the kitchen when she returned. "Did you find it?" I asked her, turning around with a smile on my face.
Charlie Weasley
Charlie Weasley

Back to top Go down

Post  Molly Weasley Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:22 pm

I nodded and held out both boxes.  I wasn't sure which one he would prefer to Desdemona.  I thought the ruby would be a great fit, but he knew her better than I.  Perhaps he would choose the emerald.  Either way, I had them both here to choose from.  "The ruby, like I said, was an anniversary gift.  The emerald that I brought out was the promise ring your father had given me when we were just sixth years.  I wasn't sure which one you would prefer," I said, showing him both of the options.  

Sons are the anchors of a mother's life -- August 1998 (DONE) Ring10

Sons are the anchors of a mother's life -- August 1998 (DONE) Ring_210
Molly Weasley
Molly Weasley

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie Weasley Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:24 pm

I could not believe that I was able to choose between two different rings that mother owned. I didn't really expect her to own one... I figured she would have to call around to the aunts and grandmothers and extended family to find one for us. They were both beautiful, but the minute I saw the ruby ring, I knew that was the one. Besides, I think mum still fancied the emerald because it was the first ring Dad ever gave to her. I took the ruby one and gave my mother a kiss on the cheek. "I think this one is perfect," I said, grinning at her.
Charlie Weasley
Charlie Weasley

Back to top Go down

Post  Molly Weasley Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:28 pm

I gave Charlie another big hug.  I could not believe that he was going to be engaged soon!  "Oh, honey... I am so happy for you!  I cannot wait to see this ring on her finger," I told him, the tears really clouding my eyes.  "Oh, excuse me..."  I had to grab a tissue to keep them from falling.  I was being ridiculous!  It was just because I was so happy for my baby!  As much as I tried not to have favorites... Charlie was just my baby boy.  Not necessarily my favorite, but for some reason he was just my baby.  I had had such a hard time when he decided to go chasing after dragons in Romania... Arthur didn't know what to do with me for at least a month after Charlie left!  It was ridiculous.  As ridiculous as these tears right now!
Molly Weasley
Molly Weasley

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie Weasley Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:30 pm

I pulled my mother into my arms and said, "Please don't cry, Mum... it's a good thing I'm going to settle down! And just because I have the ring, does not mean she'll say yes." I was nervous as all get out to ask her. And the tears in my mother's eyes were not helping at all with the nerves.
Charlie Weasley
Charlie Weasley

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next